Mother’s Day is approaching and for those husbands that haven’t a clue what to do for their
better half, here are some delightful ideas.
Breakfast in Bed
Whether it’s a surprise breakfast in bed, a relaxed afternoon tea, or a memorable dessert made
just for her, there’s no sweeter way to say, “I love you” than with a homemade Mother’s Day
Mother’s Day Breakfast
- Using a cookie cutter or a knife, cut out a small heart shape from the center of a thick slice of bread. Spread each side of bread with herb butter.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Saute bread until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat, and gently flip toast.
- Break an egg into heart-shaped hole. Cover, and cook until egg white turns opaque, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate along with the heart-shaped piece of cutout bread, perfect for dipping into yolk.
(Serve with a cup of hot cocoa or cafe au lait)
How to Make a Cafe Au Lait
- French press a pot of double strength coffee. If you don’t have a press pot then you can just use a coffee machine. Either way make it double strength.
- Steam a cup of milk in a metal pitcher with the steaming wand on an espresso machine. If you don’t have an espresso machine, you could microwave or stove-top heat some milk to no more than 155 degrees, after that point your milk starts to curdle.
- Simultaneously pour your coffee and milk into a mug. When doing this try to get the streams to meet before hitting the cup so they mix before landing. You will also want to make sure that you pour at the same speed so that you end up with half milk and half coffee.
More Romantic ideas…
Take her out dancing
Invite your wife out to a classy club or dance hall. Arrange a babysitter for the kids, and let her
revel in an evening of careless abandon.
Give her a massage
Give Mom a stress-relieving backrub or massage. Even if you never learned shiatsu, gently
pressing out the knots in her shoulders and back is an intimate, invigorating expression of your
affection, love and appreciation.
Write her a song
And sing it to her. With or without musical accompaniment, a heartfelt ode to your wife and
mother of your children will positively tickle her. Note: this is a very romantic gesture.
Her wish, your command
Let her call the shots on Mother’s Day. Make sure she understands, on a fundamental level, that
she needn’t shy away from any request. Her happiness is your happiness—and the whole
family’s, for that matter.
Tell her you love her
A classic: thoughtful, free, and highly appropriate on Mother’s Day. Surprise her at a moment
you normally wouldn’t say it, or let these be the first words she hears upon waking up: “I love
Write a Note
Leave her a kind note where you know she’ll find it. It’s up to you how long you want to make it.
Whether it’s a lengthy treatise on your undying love, or a couple lines reminding her that she’s
an excellent Mother, this is a powerful, surprising and flattering gesture, sure to delight her.
Make her a mix cd of romantic songs that remind you of her.
It doesn't have to be Mother's Day or a special holiday to let her know how much you appreciate
her. Let her know how much she means to you everyday and how happy you are to be married
to your best friend.